Mindful Pause Media Toolkit
Are you interested in interviewing the author, hosting an event, or featuring Mindful Pause in your own programming? Here’s a helpful media toolkit with some information on the book, the author, and the methodology for your reference.
- ISBN: B082PQ2Z13
- # of pages: 181
- Price: $12.99
Author Bio (150 words)
Cami Smalley is a masterful coach, inspiring speaker, and author of Mindful Pause: a self-care guide to resilience and well-being. Cami founded Guided Resilience to engage others in the pursuit of resilient and meaningful lives. She helped design a center for resilience at a large urban hospital in St. Paul, MN. Her holistic approach to well-being also supports faith communities and cancer support organizations.
Cami recognizes the risk of being resilient to a fault – working tirelessly for others without regard for self. Her Guided Resilience approach prioritizes self-care as a personal and professional responsibility in the pursuit of well-being in body, mind, and spirit.
Cami currently lives in Minnesota and enjoys the outdoors with her family and dog. In addition to coaching, she teaches yoga, guides meditation, and facilitates wellness retreats. Her favorite yoga flow to share with others? Mountain to Warrior. She’ll love to tell you why.
How to Introduce Cami
Cami is a nationally board certified health and wellness coach. She founded Guided Resilience to share her Mindful Pause approach to well-being. And she is author of the book, Mindful Pause: a self-care guide to resilience and well-being.
Cami provides her coaching services to employees at Regions hospital in St. Paul, MN. In addition to coaching, Cami helped the hospital create a Center for Employee Resilience, and she contributes to several initiatives including supporting victims of workplace violence, departmental support during transitions, return to work referrals, and an exciting lifestyle medicine approach to treating back and neck pain. Cami is also passionate about sharing her positive psychology strategies through workshops and retreats. Cami walks her talk. You can witness her top strengths in her work:
- Spirituality and a sense of purpose
- Appreciation of beauty and excellence
- Curiosity and interest in the world
- Capacity to love and be loved
Cami enjoys yoga, bird watching, hiking, biking, scuba, travel, and spending time with her family and beloved Standard Poodle, Rollie. One of her favorite yoga flows to share with others is Mountain Pose to Warrior Pose, and she’d love to tell you why.
Today’s busy world can leave you feeling stressed and overextended, but you’re not alone. Epidemic numbers of people confront this same out-of-control feeling, and it’s negatively impacting their lives. Professional coach and resilience expert, Cami Smalley, can help. She provides an indispensable guide that explains how to rediscover what matters to you.
Who can benefit from Mindful Pause?
- Those who seek relief from stress, burnout, or significant life transitions.
- Anyone who desires to live a more authentic life aligned with strengths and values.
The Mindful Pause approach teaches you that self-care is never a selfish act. It is a personal and professional responsibility. Using this step-by-step process, you learn to stop the incessant pace and intensity of life, breathe your way to stability and peace, think about your self-care and growth process, and choose a life of your design.
Suggested Interview Questions
- If you had to explain this book in one sentence, what would you say? This book captures the key elements of my Guided Resilience approach to well-being that supports efforts to stop the incessant pace and intensity of life, breathe your way to stability and peace, think about your self-care and growth process, and choose a life aligned with your values and purpose.
- Who are the major influencers on your life and philosophy? My own faith is my principle motivator and inspires me to encourage others to align with their own life’s vision, meaning, and purpose. Specifically, I use St. Francis’ Prayer, Make me an instrument of peace, as my personal devotion and inspiration. The prayer acknowledges the complexity of the human experience and invites you to choose the values and emotions that heal yourself, others, and the world. Professionally, the field of positive psychology and my coach training through Wellcoaches resourced my ability to create an effective transformational process that I share in my Guided Resilience work.
- What other authors or books influenced you to write this one? Experts in the field of positive psychology including Barbara Fredrickson, Martin Seligman, Kelly McGonigal, Sonja Lyubomirsky, Ph.D., and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s famous investigations of “optimal experience”.
Others include: Sue Monk Kidd, Parker Palmer, Jon Kabat-Zinn, the HeartMath® Institute, and spiritual writers including Cynthia Bourgeault, Eckhart Tolle, Richard Rohr, Wayne Dyer, Thomas Merton.
- What are some of the major ideas that you integrate into this book or your life in general?
• Self-care is never a selfish act – it is a personal and professional skill.
• The heart doesn’t take care of itself just on weekends, vacation, or day off. Self-care is integral to every action – to every beat of the heart.
• Holism is an essential lens for well-being.
• Self-awareness is critical to self-growth.
• Knowing and using your strengths and a positive mindset support optimal health and well-being.
• Emotions can drive or derail decision-making and behaviors.
• For as complex as life has become, everyone should have access to sacred space on a daily basis – right in their own home.
• Growth by progress not perfection.
• For lasting change, we must stop “shoulding” on ourselves.
• Mindfulness is a personal and professional skill.
• Personal growth is possible through difficult life events.
- If you could not use your current book title, what would be another choice? I would commemorate the words that my father used to inspire me, “Exert energy to receive energy”. This book is for those ready to assume responsibility for their life, choices, and actions. Learn it. Live it. Share it.